Day 4 June 5

Who knew, nobody knew, I could actually be a day ahead of schedule. I had lined up some community meetings along the route to talk about the value of the river in their area. Today’s was in Bethel at 4. So it worked out really well, then I got a day to rest after that near hypothermia situation yesterday.


Today, representatives from Androscoggin River Watershed Council, the Chamber of Commerce, and Oxford County Wellness Collaborative met with me to talk about the journey and also the role the river plays  in this community. I learned a lot It was a good conversation.

What I’ve learned is that the areas of focus for wellness are not only physical but also economic and environmental. I love that. Also lots of jobs have come to this area because of the come back of the river- whether it be jobs relating to angling, guiding, paddle sports, boating or camping, just to name a few. It gets people outside and active and this is very healthy.

I also learned that some visionaries from the local land trust as well as the Androscoggin River Watershed Council have been promoting paddling day trips from the source to the sea for 23 years! This has helped to change peoples consciousness around this river that was once something to totally avoid. Check them out and join for a guided day paddle!

I’m deeply grateful to the people that have been protecting the shore front, monitoring the water and increasing access to this beautiful natural resource that we get to explore and live with. 

We also had an excellent visit from Newscenter Maine, the lovely Torey Ryden and Patrick Lynch. They are helping bring a voice to the river by covering the journey and the story will be aired on Channel 6 tomorrow evening. If you can’t catch it live I will share the link. 

They were such a big help. 🤸🏽‍♂️






Psst We are nearly halfway to the goal of raising $5000 for Maine Rivers. 37 people have contributed so far and I invite you to be a part of the change by making a small or large donation or something in between. Whatever’s comfortable for you. It will help keep Maine rivers strong and healthy and therefore, all of us.

I’m excited to get back in the canoe tomorrow and head towards my hometown.

Onward
Namaste


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Integrating. Re-emerging.

Final day and reflections

Day 3 June 4